The Harper House

The Harper House around 1895

The Harper House was used as a US Army field hospital during the battle. The home was constructed in 1855 by John and Amy Harper who lived here at the time of the battle with 6 children and 2 grandchildren.


US Army surgeons treated roughly 550 Union soldiers here as well as about 50 Confederates. After the battle, the Union Army carried their wounded to Goldsboro but left the 50 Confederates in the care of the Harper family.

Photograph of John and Amy Harper sitting in front of their home.
John and Amy Harper pose in front of their home, the Harper House, in this 1890s photograph.
The Harper House around 1900.
Photograph of the Harper House, white with green trim.
The Harper House today